Thursday, August 4, 2011

A Reflection for the week of August 7th

TRUST IN GOD AND HE WILL PROVIDE


A Reflection for the 19th Sunday of Ordinary Time

By Reverend Bob Johnnene OFD

Mission Sts. Sergius & Bacchus/ Franciscans of Divine Mercy

www.missionstsergius.org

www.franciscansdivinemercy.org



I want to begin this reflection by thanking everyone who offered prayers for my health crisis of the past few weeks. I was informed today that the spot on the pancreas has totally disappeared since the first CAT scan due I am certain to all the prayers that were offered.

The readings for August 7th suggest how we should be living our lives. The readings tell the story of how the disciples saw Jesus walking on the water even though the winds of storm were raging about them the disciples yelled out “It is a ghost,” but Jesus proclaimed “Take courage, it is I; do not be afraid.” and told peter to come to him, Peter began but got frightened and started to sink but Christ reached out and proclaimed “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?”.

I went into the hospital putting everything in God’s hands with trust that what would be would be and it was my place to accept God’s will.

I left with an assurance that there not only was nothing on the Pancreas, liver or spleen, but that the bladder and the prostrate were also free of Cancer. What has happened to me certainly, I feel, was a miracle since I had all the signs of tumors on the pancreas and plus the doctors thought that there was cancer of the Prostrate.

I know it was all the thousands of prayers offered that caused this to happen.

During the weeks before the hospitalization and a slight complication from the 7 biopsies that kept me in the hospital for 6 days longer than originally planned, I have been asked often why I was not more concerned and my reply was always “Why should I worry about something that I have no control over, it is in god’s hands and I trust he will do what is best for me and in accord with what he wants.” “let god’s will be done” I have often had the motto LET GO, LET GOD as my mantra and this crisis of the past few weeks has been no different.

In the first reading from Kings 19:9 we read where God tells Elijah “Go outside and stand on the mountain before the LORD; the LORD will be passing by.” And as he is standing outside the cave thunder, howling winds, Earthquakes, Fire all raged around but Elijah knew that God was not in tem, instead God was in the a gentle whispering sound of the breeze.

God does not always show himself in a grandiose manner, but in the tiny little things that bring light to the heart and soul. The wild flowers in the field, a family of wild turkeys foraging for their food, the beauty of a musical work or piece of art is where we often can find God.

God can be found in all of these and it can be found in the generosity of others when you are in need. If it were not for a wonderful neighbor who took me to the hospital when I was in so much pain I could not drive and stayed with me until I was completely admitted and in my room, and who visited every day and since my coming home has made sure that I was OK and has gotten shopping for me since I am not supposed to drive for two weeks.

I am certain that the combination of placing my trust and faith in God and the power of the prayers being offered for me greatly were a part of my prognosis and healing.

I now have place another question and possible decision into God’s hands asking his guidance and direction. It is; “What is God’s will toward the future of not only Mission Saints Sergius & Bacchus but also The Franciscans of Divine Mercy. I am asking what His will is for both and how best we can achieve His will. At the present time I am unable to sustain them by myself and I am not entirely sure that the ministry is actually making a difference and inspiring people to know that God loves them and desires them to fully partake of their Baptismal right in the Mystical Body of Christ. Please add this petition to your prayers as the future of both are at a major crossroads.

Prayer is one of the most powerful tools we have to achieve all sorts of wondrous things like the healing that apparently has taken place in my own life.

"What exactly does God want us to do?" the people asked. Jesus answered, "God wants you to have faith in the one he sent." (John 6:28-29)

Having faith in God means to place your life in God’s hands. It means to stop trying to have your own way all the time and to let God direct your life for God is the most award-winning director ever.

My advice to all who read this is: LET GOD INTO YOUR LIVE AND MAKE HIM THE CENTER OF YOUR FAMILY AND YOUR LIFE and you can overcome all obstacles and difficulties

We have to make time and place ourselves in God’s hands completely and let God guide our lives. Our worries should be concerned with things we have total control over like eating right, being concerned for the welfare of the poor and our environment, sharing our God given gifts with others and not being ashamed to proclaim your faith in God.

The Responsorial Psalm is a perfect short prayer to say often every day; Lord, let us see your kindness, and grant us your salvation.

Start today to have your own your SPIRITUAL REVOLUTION by LETTING GO AND LETTING GOD BE THE CENTER OF YOUR LIFE. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment