Friday, August 3, 2012

Sunday August 5th Reflection

TRUST IN GOD AND HE WILL PROVIDE A Reflection for the 18th Sunday of Ordinary Time Readings from Ex. 16:2-4, 12-14, Psalm 77:3-4,23-25,54, Ephesians 4:17,20-24, John 6:24-35 By Reverend Bob Johnnene OFD Mission Sts. Sergius & Bacchus/ Franciscans of Divine Mercy National Catholic Church of America www.missionstsergius.org www.Franciscansdivinemercy.org This Sunday’s Readings instruct us on how we should be living our lives. The readings follow the miracle of the loaves and fishes that Christ performed to feed the multitudes who had come to hear him preach. In verse 26 of John’s Gospel we read; Jesus answered, "I tell you for certain that you are not looking for me because you saw the miracles”. In the past I have often been asked why I was not more concerned when I have been diagnosed with the cancers I have had and my reply was always “why should I worry about something that I have no control over, it is in god’s hands and I trust he will do what is best for me in accord with His will.” “Let god’s will be done” has been the mantra I often repeat. Years ago I had a framed motto “LET GO, LET GOD” beside my bed and it sustained me through many difficult times. When a cousin was having difficulty with how her husband left her when she was diagnosed with breast cancer which eventually led to her death and she was filled with anger I gave her my Motto and thankfully when she passed away she was surrounded by all her brothers and sisters and her children. In the first reading from Exodus 16:verse 15 we read; “That’ said Moses to them ‘is the bread the Lord gives you to eat.” and in Paul’s letter to the Ephesians 4:17,20-24, Paul exhorts us; “ in the name of the Lord, not to go on living the aimless kind of life that pagans live. … You must give up your old way of life; you must put aside your old self, which is corrupted by following illusory desires. Your mind must be renewed by a spiritual revolution so that you can put on the new self that has been created in God’s way, in the goodness and holiness of the truth. Part of being renewed and putting on a new self is to make time in your daily life to talk to God or as most people call it, TO PRAY. Prayer is one of the most powerful tools we have to achieve all sorts of wondrous things like the healing that apparently has taken place in my own life. "What exactly does God want us to do?" the people asked. Jesus answered, "God wants you to have faith in the one he sent." (John 6:28-29) Having faith in God means to place your life in God’s hands. It means to stop trying to have your own way all the time and to let God direct your life for God is the most award-winning director ever. Many prayed for me and my son when we were diagnosed with cancer and today 5 years later we are well and thankfully I am able to try to serve God as best I can. So many times I have seen how prayers have made a difference especially when those praying had the deep faith that their prayers would make a difference. The power of prayer cannot be overlooked which leads me to conclude that we all have to turn more to seeking God’s intervention in the troubled areas of the world and in our lives with faith and trust that God will do what is best for us and the world in accord with His desires. The Gospel of John verse 35 affirms that if we trust and believe in God and Jesus his beloved son we will never be without and all sorts of miracles are possible, “ He who comes to me will never be hungry; he who believes in me will never thirst.” My advice is: LET GOD INTO YOUR LIVE AND MAKE HIM THE CENTER OF YOUR FAMILY AND YOUR LIFE and you will be able to deal with all obstacles and difficulties and if it is God’s will overcome them and go forward with greater strength. God hears us when we turn to him either in thanksgiving or in complaint and He will answer us in the way that is best for us, but we MUST truly believe and have faith and trust in Him. We have to place ourselves in God’s hands completely and let God guide our lives. Our worries should be concerned with things we have total control over like eating right, being concerned for the welfare of the poor and our environment, sharing our God given gifts with others and not being ashamed to proclaim your faith in God. Start today to initiate your personal “Spiritual Revolution” by LETTING GO AND LETTING GOD BE THE CENTER OF YOUR LIFE. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment